Vertical Development helps leaders who work in complex, fast-paced organizations to elevate their thinking and become more agile & strategic.
What is vertical development?
Traditional leadership development tends to focus on skills and competencies. While these are important they are no longer sufficient for leaders facing a complex and overloaded world. Vertical development comes out of research at Harvard and Cambridge University which shows that adults develop through stages of development. At each new stage, they develop new capacities for thinking, acting and leading. Vertically developed leaders can think more systemically, see long-term possibilities, embrace challenges from multiple perspectives, and lead as interdependent collaborators. The capacities are crucial for leaders who operate and make decisions in complex environments, i.e. most modern leaders.
To learn more click on the 2 page Info-graphics below
If you want to discuss using the V.M.I. in your organization email email@example.com
2 Ways to Experience Vertical Development
1) Free Vertical Incubator – We run vertical workshops for internal practitioners at some of the world's top companies. This begins with an online experience. You can sign up for the free version of this experience here.
2) The Vertical Mindset Indicator
The VMI is an assessment that explores a leader’s vertical stage of development. Leveraging the combined power of AI and rigorous research, the VMI lends itself to the fast-paced, busy schedules of today’s leaders, while providing an actionable path for growth and increased impact.
Because the VMI brings together research rigor with machine learning, the leaders only needs to spend a short time taking the assessment (typically 5-15 minutes), they receive their results quickly, and by going through the VMI digital debrief, leaders can immediately reflect on their results, apply learnings, and grow a more adaptive mindset for the complex realities of today and the opportunities of tomorrow.
As a result of taking the VMI and debrief process, leaders gain 3 key insights:
Mindset – How does my mindset affect my leadership effectiveness?
Opportunities – What are my opportunities for development and suggested practices based on my results?
Culture – How does my organization’s leadership culture impact my behaviors and thinking?
You can try out the V.M.I. here.
3 Ways to Work with Nick on Vertical Development
1) Advice and Design – I help organizations create vertical leadership offerings that are a good fit their organization's culture and leaders. Part of this process involves upskilling the internal practitioners in the company to support Vertical development offerings so you don't become reliant on external consultants long term.
2) Vertical Workshop Delivery – I deliver vertical workshops and debriefs for organizations. These are done virtually and in less than 2 hours to fit the needs of busy leaders. If you want you or your team to co-facilitate with me I’ll help team members learn new tools and methods so they can support this work for the long term.
3) Build a developmental ecosystem – If you want to increase the leadership capacity of the whole organization, I’ll partner with you and the executive team to create an ecosystem that creates continuous developmental stretch for your people. This focuses on: individual mindsets and behaviors as well culture and systems. We will bake development into the everyday rhythms of the workplace.